After getting all the parts of the mill down into the basement, re-assembly was relatively easy.

IMG_7718.jpg In preparation for my CNC conversion, I ordered some 1.25" Ballscrews with zero-backlash nuts. IMG_7719.jpg These are rolled ballscrews - really transmission grade, although they are 0.001"/ft lead error. They should be suitable for my purposes and they were a lot cheaper than ground!
IMG_7720.jpg Putting the table back on the knee was a little tricky to get both parts in the same plane. IMG_7721.jpg
IMG_7722.jpg IMG_7776.jpg Because the main casting got pretty scratched up while being moved, I sanded it down, bondo'd the gouges and repainted it with a two-stage epoxy type paint. The color match is very good.
IMG_7777.jpg The knee and table weigh almost as much as the main casting. IMG_7778.jpg
IMG_7781.jpg I came within an inch of the maximum height of the engine hoist. IMG_7782.jpg
IMG_7786.jpg IMG_7787.jpg I probably should have put the head/ram assembly on before the knee - the extension on the hoist wasn't quite enough to reach so I had to push it with one hand while lowering it with the other hand.
IMG_7783.jpg IMG_7790.jpg All back together!
IMG_7789.jpg You can see the 2ton hoist from before, which I used to move the mill into position. A long crowbar and some 1/2" steel rods probably would have worked better but I didn't have any. IMG_7788.jpg
IMG_7950.jpg Ready to go to work! IMG_7952.jpg You can't really tell from the pictures, but the mill is framed by two lollicolumns, which make it a bit cramped when you have to access the sides of the mill.

I even fixed the DRO which I'd broken in dissassembly. The VFD which I'm using to convert single-to-three phase is also very nice to have.

Return to the Virtual SmidgescapeReturn to the 928 PagesReturn to the Machine ShopReturn to Comet

Text, photography and layout by C.S. Mo
Copyright © C.S. Mo, All Rights Reserved
Comments and suggestions to: